We love Curry. Healthy food does not have to be time consuming or difficult. Curries are a perfect example of how easy it can be to eat well, even on a tight schedule. This sweet and spicy plant based, vegan lentil curry from Food by Maria is super simple, slightly longer to prepare and cook but ultimately rewarded and packed full of healthy fats and anti-inflammatory spices. It’s a perfect winter evening meal.
- 2 cups white rice
- 6 cups boiled water (or enough to cover rice by 2 inches)
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 1 tsp. himalayan sea salt
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 medium white onion, cubed
- 1 tbsp. sweet yellow curry powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. red chilli pepper powder
- 2 cups puree tomatoes, no added sugar or salt
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 can red lentils, strained and washed
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 cup coconut milk - from a can
- Into a pot add your ingredients for the rice. Follow cooking ingredients. I like my rice creamy and rich for this dish but fluffy is great too!
- Into a larged sized frying pan add your coconut oil and heat for 30 seconds.
- To the oil add your onions and cook down on medium heat for 5 minutes. Occasionally stir.
- Add all your spices and give a good stir.
- Now add your tomatoes, tomato paste, and water. Cook down for 5-10 minutes until you reach your desired "thick" consistency.
- Add your strained lentils and cook on low for another 10 minutes.
- Now add your coconut milk and cook for yet another 5 minutes.
- At the last minute add your spinach.
- Garnish with some citrus, coriander and almonds!