Not only is this gooey brownie from Flexi Vegan Diary a delicious treat, but it’s also surprisingly healthy. Made gluten-free and without refined sugar, the bulk of the brownies is made using sweet potato and medjool dates. Both are packed with immune-boosting antioxidants while the former is extremely high in fibre.
This makes is a slow burning starch, meaning it won’t spike your blood sugar and insulin levels, while also having numerous benefits in terms of your gut health.
If you need any more recipe inspiration then look no further than our protein brownies guide.
- 250g Sweet potato
- 265g Black beans
- 75g Nut butter
- 60g Buckwheat flour
- 60g Form Performance Chocolate Peanut vegan protein powder or Superblend Choc Peanut
- 30g Cacao
- 115g Medjool dates
- 1 flax-egg (1 tbsp flaxseeds mixed with 3 tbsp of water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- A generous pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbsp of chopped nuts of your choice
- 1 tbsp of chopped dark chocolate
- Turn the oven to 350 degrees F /175 degrees C and line a tray with baking paper.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into small cubes. Cook in boiling water until soft and drain it.
- Remove stones from dates and let them soak in boiling water for 10 mins.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
- In a food processor add in all the wet ingredients. Blend until smooth. Then add in the dry ingredients and blend again.
- Place the batter into the tray, and with a large spoon spread the batter evenly. On top divide the chopped nuts & dark chocolate and sprinkle the sea salt.
- Place it in the oven for about 30-35 minutes. Insert a toothpick or a knife to see if it's done. Its okay if the toothpick/knife doesn't comes out perfectly clean.
- Let them cool down for at least 10-15 minutes and enjoy